Article I. Name of Chapter
The name of this Chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society shall be Alpha Rho Nu.
Article II. Purpose of Chapter
The purpose of the Alpha Rho Nu Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa at Kalamazoo Valley Community College shall be to recognize, encourage, and promote scholarship, leadership, service, and fellowship, which are the four Hallmarks of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society.
Article III. Membership in Chapter
Section I. Types of Membership
The membership of the Alpha Rho Nu Chapter shall consist of active, provisional, alumni, and honorary members.
A. Active membership
1. Qualifications for membership
a) 12 or more credit hours of college level work at Kalamazoo Valley Community College.
b) 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher for courses taken at KVCC. Grades for course work from other institutions will not be considered when determining eligibility.
c) Upheld Kalamazoo Valley Community College’s Code of Conduct for students published in the Student Handbook.
d) Invited to join by the Alpha Rho Nu Chapter.
e) Turned in completed membership forms from International and have paid the dues set forth by International, Regional, and Alpha Rho Nu.
2. Retention for membership
Cumulative GPA must not drop below 3.20. If cumulative GPA drops below a 3.20, the member is put on probation for one semester. If GPA is not brought up to a 3.20 or higher after one semester, then that member shall be stricken from the international and chapter rosters.
*Students inducted before fall 1994 must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
3. Types of active membership
a) Standard member
1. Fulfills requirements for active membership
2. Not obtained enhanced membership.
b) Enhanced membership
1. Has fulfilled the requirements for active membership
2. Has fulfilled all the requirements as set forth in the “Alpha Rho Nu Enhanced Membership Program.”
B. Provisional Membership
See Article IV, Section 1 B, of the Constitution of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society.
C. Alumni Membership
See Article IV, Section 1 C, of the Constitution of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society.
D. Honorary Membership
See Article IV, Section 1 D, of the Constitution of Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society.
Section 2. Transfer of Membership
Transfer of membership from another Chapter to the Alpha Rho Nu Chapter shall be granted if that member was in good standing with their former Chapter, is currently enrolled at Kalamazoo Valley Community College, has paid Alpha Rho Nu Chapter dues, and cumulative GPA is as stated in retention for membership in the Alpha Rho Nu by-laws.
Article IV. Officers of the Chapter
Section 1. General Officer Responsibilities
A. Must be currently enrolled with a minimum of 6 credits each semester.
B. Establish necessary committees with a majority vote from the officers.
C. Attend all business meetings, subject to class and work schedules.
D. Act as official representatives of the Alpha Rho Nu Chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society, treating other members of the college community and the community at large with respect, using appropriate channels of communication, and following the college rules and guidelines.
E. An officer may not be enrolled at a senior institution during his/her term of office.
Section 2. Specific Officer Duties
1. Preside over business meetings and co-preside with appropriate committee chair over all formal functions (orientations, inductions, etc)
2. Vote only in the case of a tie.
3. Serve as ex-officio on all committees.
4. Present new business to the organization.
5. Represent the organization in a dignified manner at all times.
6. Promptly share information from the Advisor(s) with the officers and the general membership.
7. In conjunction with the Chapter Advisor(s) and Recording Secretary, complete and send the annual report to international headquarters thirty days prior to the annual convention.
8. Serve as Chapter ambassador to the communities at large.
B. Vice-President of Leadership
1. Perform the duties of the Chapter President in the event of his/her absence.
2. Head the annual Chapter by-laws committee.
3. Direct the chapter in the use of parliamentary procedures for meetings.
4. Notify the members of elections in a timely manner.
5. Encourage the development of leadership skills and oversee activities.
6. Coordinate the preparation of the Leadership Hallmark Award entry.
C. Vice President of Finance
1. Maintain financial records of the Chapter in accordance with college procedures.
2. Prepare written monthly report of finances for business meetings.
3. Chair the fund-raising committee.
D. Vice President of Records
1. Take roll at all business meetings.
2. Publish agendas before business meetings.
3. Maintain and publish records of Chapter meetings in the form of minutes, to be distributed at the next business meeting.
4. Maintain a file of Chapter correspondence.
5. Publish a monthly calendar of events.
6. Maintain a file of the Chapter by-laws
7. Assist the Chapter Advisor(s) and Chapter President in preparing the annual report to be sent to the National Headquarters thirty days prior to the National Convention.
E. Vice President of Public Relations
1. Publish the Chapter newsletter with input from the officers and the General membership.
2. Make press releases in cooperation with the Kalamazoo Valley Community College public relations office, to area news media.
3. Chair the annual scrapbook committee that maintains the Chapter scrapbook for local history as well as regional convention.
4. Compile information with the Vice President of Records for bimonthly report of Chapter activities to be submitted to regional coordinator and international headquarters.
F. Vice President of Service
1. Maintain records of the volunteer hours completed by the Chapter members.
2. Maintain a list of all members who are currently enrolled in the Enhanced Membership Program and of those attempting to complete the Enhanced Membership Program.
3. Consult with the Chapter Advisor(s) and the officers about designating honorary members and identifying members of Phi Theta Kappa or the larger community whom have provided unusual service to Alpha Rho Nu and to appropriately recognize them.
4. Oversee the International Service Program activities.
5. Co-Chair the induction committee with the Vice President of Fellowship.
6. Coordinate the preparation of the Service Hallmark Award entry.
G. Vice President of Fellowship
1. Encourage scholarly fellowship at all levels of the Society.
2. Implement strategies to increase membership acceptance.
3. Enroll the chapter in the Pinnacle Scholarship Award Program.
4. Coordinate the preparation of any fellowship reports.
5. Co-Chair the induction committee with the Vice President of Service.
H. Vice President of Scholarship
1. Oversee all Honors Study Topic activities.
2. Assist advisors with the promotion of scholarships.
3. Encourage and recognize academic excellence.
4. Coordinate the preparation of the Scholarship Hallmark Award entry.
I. Campus Liaison
1. Post chapter information on the Arcadia Commons Campus (ACC).
2. Promote membership at ACC by coordinating informational opportunities.
Section 3. Election of Chapter Officers
A. General elections will be held at a meeting during the winter semester of each year. Current officers will announce the election at least a month beforehand.
B. Candidates for office may be nominated prior to the meeting in which the election is being held or from the floor at that meeting.
C. A plurality of the votes shall determine the new officer. In the case of a tie at the meeting where elections are taking place each candidate will be given 5 minutes to speak, immediately afterwards there will then be a revote. If there is still a tie after the revote, a lottery (method to be determined by the chair of the election committee) will be conducted immediately to determine the new officer.
D. Ballots shall be officially counted by the Advisor(s) or an Advisor(s) approved official.
E. Election of a newly vacated office shall take place at the next business meeting providing that the next business meeting is at least two weeks after the vacancy has officially occurred.
Section 4. Removal from Office
Any officer who is found to not be performing his/her described duties and/or has not upheld the Kalamazoo Valley Community Colleges Student Handbook or the International, Regional, and Chapter Constitutions and by-laws, may be removed from office by three-fourths majority vote at a meeting after the officer in question has been officially notified by the Chapter Advisor(s). At the given meeting the officer in question may have the chance to deny or defend his/her actions.
Article V. Committees
Section 1. Standing Committees
The chapter will have the following standing committees: Scholarship, Leadership, Service, Fellowship, and Public Relations.
Section 2. Other Committees
Other committees may be established by the Chapter Officers as ad hoc committees on an “as needed” basis.
Section 3. Chairpersons of Committees
Chairpersons of committees under Sections 1 and 2 of Article V may be officers, alumni, or members of the chapter.
Section 4. Committee Chairpersons
Committee Chairpersons will be appointed by the Chapter Officers.
Article VI. Chapter Advisor(s)
Section 1. The Chapter Advisor(s)
The advisor(s) is a volunteer, acting on behalf of the students, the College, and the International Headquarters. The Advisor reports on Phi Theta Kappa activities to the appointed College official. The Advisor is often a contact for community service needs on-campus and off-campus. Thus, the advisor is an essential link in communications among the student officers, the college administration, the faculty, and the greater Kalamazoo community.
Section 2. Selection of the Advisor(s)
Advisor(s)shall be invited to serve by the officers with the appointment made by the appointed College official of Kalamazoo Valley Community College and shall be a current employee of Kalamazoo Valley Community College.
Section 3. General Advisor(s) Rights
1. The Advisor(s) shall not be a voting member of the Chapter.
2. The Advisor(s) shall not perform the defined duties of any individual officer.
3. Attend meetings, Chapter activities, and conferences subject to other responsibilities.
Section 4. Specific Duties of the Chapter Advisor(s)
A. Prepare membership forms and other reports for International Headquarters.
Article VII. Chapter Finances
B. Request a list of potential members to be invited to join Phi Theta Kappa.
C. Enter new member names into the college database.
D. Review student records and enforcing GPA requirements.
E. Photocopy Phi Theta Kappa business.
F. Request College Print Shop orders on behalf of Phi Theta Kappa.
G. Reserve rooms and/or audio/visual equipment.
H. Notify students of transfer scholarships.
I. Help plan the annual calendar.
J. Process financial transactions of the society through appropriate College channels.
K. Assist with orientations, inductions, and installation of officers.
L. Help College officials identify Chapter members for the Honors Convocation and Commencement.
Section 1. Alpha Rho Nu Chapter Budget
The responsibilities for the Alpha Rho Nu Chapter budget reside with the appointed College official. Chapter officers should direct member approved reimbursement requests for Chapter sponsored events through the advisor in sufficient time to prepare paperwork, obtain appointed College official approval, and have purchase orders or checks prepared. Receipts for personal or Chapter expenses must be submitted to the Advisor(s) for approval and preparation of forms before going to the appointed College official for reimbursement.
Section 2. Financial Records of the Chapter
Financial Records shall be audited annually by the appointed College official or appointee, and these records shall be available for audit by the College Internal Auditor.
Section 3. Finances for the Alpha Rho Nu Chapter will be raised primarily by:
A. Local Chapter dues;
Article VIII. Amendments
B. College contributions;
C. Fund raising projects that have been approved by the Appointed College official; and
Section 1. Amending the By-laws
The by-laws may be amended or revised by a majority vote of two-thirds of the members present at any business meeting, provided that the proposed amendment has been presented at a previous business meeting. Any changes to the by-laws must be approved by the Phi theta Kappa International Headquarters and the appointed College official at Kalamazoo Valley Community College.
Section 2. Records
The Recording Secretary shall keep a permanent record of the by-laws on file.
Article IX. Dissolution Clause
If for any reason the Alpha Rho Nu Chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society should be disbanded, any monies in the Chapter account, after clearing all just debts shall be donated to Kalamazoo Valley Community College. The appointed College official shall determine the precise account.